The pandemic we are going through has brought the increase in the use of some digital platforms and entertainment applications such as Netflix, Amazon Prime, YouTube, Snapchat and Instagram, but, without a doubt, the real surprise has been TikTok manaiging to unseat some of the aforementioned in a short time.
TikTok is a social network launched in 2016 and available for Android and iOS, that basically allows you to share short music videos, approximately one minute long, to which a variety of visual effects, filters and background music can be applied.
Its ease of use and wide variety of content have accelerated its adoption, mainly among young audiences around twenty years of age, however, children and adults alike have joined this trend, without forgetting countless celebrities, athletes and influencers who have managed to catapult its popularity.
In August 2020 TikTok managed to position itself as the most downloaded (non-game) application in the world, adding more than 63.3 billion downloads between the App Store and Google Play, according to data from Sensor Tower .
And now that we know a little more about TikTok, let's see some advantages of this platform:
- It is possible to reach more than 500 million users.
- You can reach new audiences and markets.
- More organic growth can be obtained since its algorithm is a little less complex than other platforms.
- Its video tools allow you to improve your content easily and quickly.
- Its advertising formats: Brand takeover, Biddable Ads, In-feed Video, Top view, Branded Lenses and Hashtag Challenge are attractive and of great impact.
- Your music library is large enough to allow you to creatively express your ideas.
- Allows you to keep up with new trends.
- You can record and save videos beforehand without having to publish.
- Allows you to download published videos.
- The videos that are published do not include a watermark.
On the other hand, some disadvantages are the following:
- The maximum length of the videos is 60 seconds.
- Most of the audience is young people, so reaching other audiences could be a bit tricky.
- Some of the functions of the app called “Challenges” could endanger the physical integrity of people.
- You can only position yourself organically, so it is not possible to pay for better positioning.
- The rewards obtained "TikTok Reward Points" could generate a dependency on the part of the users, especially the young public.
In conclusion, TikTok can become an incredible tool for entertainment and marketing, but it is up to us to make the most of it and, above all, to use it responsibly.
- Matsa D., Sep 17, 2019. ¿Qué es y para qué sirve TikTok? (ventajas y desventajas), Expertos Negocios Online (Consulted: 28/09/2020).
- 7 Ventajas de usar TikTok para tu estrategia de Social Media, IBO (Consulted: 28/09/2020).
- Chan J., Sep 8, 2020. Top Apps Worldwide for August 2020 by Downloads, Sensor Tower (Consulted: 29/09/2020).
- Hidalgo K., May 29, 2020. TIK TOK: La nueva ALTERNATIVA para los CREADORES de CONTENIDO, Mente Diamante (Consulted: 29/09/2020).
- Moreno M., Nov 10, 2019. Estos son los riesgos de ‘TikTok ’para los menores, Educación 3.0 (Consulted: 30/09/2020).
- Yúbal F., Feb 26, 2020. Qué es TikTok, de dónde viene y qué ofrece la red social de vídeos, Xataka (Consulted: 30/09/2020).